It was revealed over the weekend that 95-year-old Queen Elizabeth has tested positive for COVID-19. And she’s staying put at home and isolating. How her majesty caught COVID is up for debate, although she did attend a maskless in-person meeting only a few days before her diagnosis was revealed. And also, uh, you know, there’s the awkward fact that her son and heir Prince Charles and his wife Duchess Camilla also came down with a case of COVID prior to her catching it. So she’s playing it safe and not attending any more of those maskless meetings. But as it turns out, The Queen isn’t just switching from in-person to working remotely from home. The Queen must need more rest than previously thought because she’s canceled all virtual engagements as well.
When Buckingham Palace revealed that The Queen caught COVID, they proudly announced that her symptoms were mild, that she’d be following COVID guidelines, and that she’d be continuing with light duties over the next week. The Queen is believed to be fully vaccinated. Whatever light duties she had planned for this week are either going to have to wait or maybe she can put Prince George on it. But at the very least, anyone who was expecting a little Zoom call with Britain’s reigning monarch is going to get a blank screen. via CNN:
Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II canceled her planned virtual engagements on Tuesday as she continues to suffer from mild Covid-19 symptoms, Buckingham Palace has said. “As Her Majesty is still experiencing mild cold-like symptoms she has decided not to undertake her planned virtual engagements today, but will continue with light duties,” the palace said.
Light duties likely refer to her head of state responsibilities such as reading and answering documents and letters, which she receives daily in her famous red dispatch boxes. A source close to the palace told CNN that the Queen’s further engagements over the coming week will be decided upon nearer the time.
Queen Elizabeth hasn’t been doing the best, health-wise, over the past few months. So I’m sure there are quite a few skeptical types who are wondering what this rally means. CNN points out that Liz has still technically been working, like issuing this statement regarding a flood in Petrópolis, Brazil (although I’m sure this typed-up statement is doing nothing to convince skeptics otherwise).
The Queen has sent a message of condolence to the people of Brazil following flooding in the city of Petrópolis, Brazil. pic.twitter.com/gzR8xAqK5T
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) February 21, 2022
Okay, but the woman still has to answer letters? Can she not just issue a formal “Out of Office” reply on official Buckingham Palace letterhead? I’m sure anyone waiting for The Queen to answer their letter would be a-ok with a note that read: “I’m sorry I won’t be able to answer your note at this time, as I’m literally a 95-year-old woman with COVID.”