Ben Affleck Has Bailed On Directing “The Batman”

January 31, 2017 / Posted by:

Hmmm…it’s almost like Warner Bros. doesn’t want another massive flop on their hands. No. That’s definitely not why this is happening. It’s just that Ben Affleck cares so much about Batman and wants to make the best gosh-darn Batman movie he can make. And apparently that means letting someone else do the job.

Ben was rumored to be doing it all for the next Batman movie, The Batman, but Variety says that he’s sticking to co-writing, producing, and acting now. Sources say that Ben’s decision has nothing to do Live By Night flopping. Ben released this statement about not directing The Batman.

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions. Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

Warner Bros. released a short statement too saying simply that they support Ben’s decision and are “committed to working with him” on The Batman. Variety says there’s currentlya shortlist for possible directors, but that the only one they know of is Matt Reeves, who directed the upcoming War for the Planet of the Apes.

Ben’s Razzie nomination for Batman v Superman was probably a real wake-up call. I know he loves directing, but it’s a good thing that he’s focusing on the acting part of it. If he want’s to avoid another Razzie nomination for The Batman, he’s got to get his ass to some acting classes. Ben’s Batman needs to work on emoting at a level beyond hard staring, intense standing, and grunting like an unfrozen caveman.

Pic: Splash

445 responses to “Ben Affleck Has Bailed On Directing “The Batman””

1. Helvetica says:

How about just don’t be involved, Ben. Nobody likes you as Batman.

2. Norma in Lakewood says:

He should have stuck to directing and let someone else do the acting.

3. iloveloureed says:

His face needs a vacation.

4. Moonlight Gypsy says:

I am so over Ben Affleck.

5. skonkatonic says:

Go to rehab already – I am sick of seeing your face.

6. Kay More says:

Hmmm I might see the movie now. Oh wait, he’s still going to act in it. Never mind.

7. Dragonlady says:

If someone else directs it, he will be able to blame them for how terrible he will be in it. Even though clearly it’s a total lack of acting range.

8. Malvinna says:

“Bailed”…? PLEASE. More like the studio saved him from utter embarrassment by allowing him to make this pathetic statement, after kicking his ass from director’s chair.

9. MayorChapStick76 says:

Good! In addition to being a mediocre actor, he’s also a mediocre director.

• CellophaneFame says:

With a whole bunch of insufferable sprinkled on top.

• Kiki_Zinnias says:

argo was SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO overated. The props were great (my say something nice.) And that fictitious ending annoys me.

• Sol says:

I just went through the movie waiting for some amazing moment to wow me, and instead I got mediocrity everywhere. Just more Hollywood masturbation.

10. runic2627 says:

Statement from Casey Affleck the morning after not winning the Oscar for Manchester by the Sea:
    ‘It is with heavy heart that I must announce that I have withdrawn from The Batman movie as Robin. You see, Robin is such a beloved icon and such a deep and nuanced character, and I’m afraid with my current busy schedule I would not be able to give the role the gravitas it deserves’.

• Richbitch says:

*titter*
      SO want anyone but him to win the Oscar (even though is outstanding in it).

• AnnoBanano says:

He’s EXCELLENT.

It’s so annoying.

• MeFunPrincess says:

Is it bad that I want him to win just to mess with Ben?
        I want him to just eclipse Ben because Ben has always been an asshole to him.
        Give him all the roles! All the Oscars!

• scamrasc . says:

i haven’t seen it but i know he’s the superior affleck actor by far.

• runic2627 says:

I honestly don’t care who wins it this year. I’m just looking forward to the DList OP the night of the awards.

• Richbitch says:

I want La La Land to win ERYTHING because it will piss people off (and I loved it)! But yes, OP will be the best part of the night. Duh! ;D

• MeFunPrincess says:

I loved LaLa land but Lion is who I think should win. I loved Figures too, but Lion was a little better, but it won’t win watch LaLa take it all.

• Sheena says:

Is Lion the one with Nicole Kidman? That is next on my ‘must see’ list.

• MeFunPrincess says:

Yes, it’s so good, the little boy should win an Oscar, not kidding, and it was beautifully shot.
            and it’s a true story!

*also, it lets us see how Nicole would look as a regular woman and it’s not pretty lol, I almost didn’t recognize her

• Sheena says:

haha, uglying yourself up is guaranteed Oscah!

11. Krispy says:

Quitter.

12. Dora Winifred says:

Thank you, fuck. Why do we need to have 8957 remakes/sequels of shit these days? Sounds like we all dodged a bullet.

13. International Number One says:

He needs to focus on losing weight. There’s nothing more pitiful than a fat, out of shape Batman with moobs unless they’re going to call the movie Fatman.

14. Kiki_Zinnias says:

Both Matt and Ben look and act in movies like suburban dads who have been on a 3 day bender in Atlantic City…like their next stop is a Netflix Adam Sandler movie. Yes – I said it.

15. CellophaneFame says:

“Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require.”

• Raja Hindustani says:

Ctfu

• scamrasc . says:

at first i was confused whether this was brad pitt or benicio del toro.

is this from snatch?

• CellophaneFame says:

Yes, it is.

• scamrasc . says:

LOVE that movie. i know guy ritchie got slack for making it in very much the same grain as lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels, but it’s still a quality movie and shows his flair for witty dialogue between distinctive characters. i wish he’d stick to his guns and make more like this – it’s hilarious.

16. Bahhhdman says:

He’s had some sort of facial work done.

17. Raja Hindustani says:

“Things didn’t really work out how I envisioned with my first Batman film, and critics and comic-book lovers alike were disappointed in it and I’m too much of a brat to take on the criticism and put more effort into the next project so I’m just going to give up after two years of convincing everyone I was perfect for this and find a partner who I can blame when this fails again. Also I know the new Lego Batman movie will somehow have more depth than what I’ve created.”

18. meh says:

I don’t care what yall say I’d still motorboat!!! He may be a jerk but he’d be a fun romp or two..

19. Jumbo says:

“Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give.”

lololololololololololol

20. FrenchGirl says:

I bet that fact that he was unable to be sober( Even at 10 am with some sober/detox coachs) during his last movie promotion was a huge point in WB’s decision.

21. Richbitch says:

“It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require.”
    That to me seems to be an uncharacteristically vulnerable statement by a major Hollywood player.

• CellophaneFame says:

I also find it interesting that it’s not “It has become clear TO ME …”. Leaving off the ‘to me’ part makes it sound more like it was clear to everyone.

• Kiki_Zinnias says:

See-his acting is great…… when its in print. I bet the studio offered more points or a bonus for bailing on the directing.

• Agent Dana Scully says:

I don’t get it though – he’s a stronger director than he is an actor. And he’s already playing an older, jaded, paranoid Batman…he can’t get much mileage out of that. If he could let his ego go and find a younger star (pfft, I know!) he should direct it, not star in it

22. FunkAnarchy84 Ⓐ says:

Ben should do the world more of a favor and drop out of the film altogether.

23. scamrasc . says:

“it has become clear i cannot do both” – no shit sherlock.

but why does he have to carry on with the acting part though???……he’s better behind the scenes than in front. he’s a crappy actor, so just recast him. it’s not like batman version 4793648 will be much of a stretch.

24. still snowing says:

People should stop hiring this miserable buffoon.

25. Kiki_Zinnias says:

I used to love Vincent Cassell married to the exquisite Monica Belluci. I recently read an interview where Vincent said women married for security and men wanted adventure, which is why he divorced. My decode on that is….Vincent (and Ben) are men who fear death (thank you Rose Castorini) so their “adventures” are the mid-life crisis run of the mill average pussy hound variety.

26. Disco Pants says:

Such delusion. Of his two mediocre talents, he decided to stick with the lesser one to save the movie?

27. MeFunPrincess says:

I see somebody got his eyes done.
    Batman wouldn’t get his eyes done Ben.

28. therealmoonriver says:

Michael Keaton is still and will always be the best Batman.

29. Tainted says:

He is not aging well at all.

That’s all I got.

30. Lefemmenikita says:

After the rip roaring success of Batman v Superman, I wonder what made him decide to leave the directing duties of the latest future critical darling?

31. Janice says:

Ben, just star in that Michelin man movie. Costume budget wouldn’t cost much because you already have a spare tire or two.

32. Moonlight Gypsy says:

I bet he’s jealous and bitter that his brother can actually act.

33. Sheena says:

Batman, ooh that’s a seldom told story in Hollywood. I wouldn’t be upset if they shelved the whole thing.

• louise_brooks says:

They won’t shelve the whole thing because even a bad comic book movie makes money. They’ll just quietly keep replacing his involvement until he’s only a producer.

• Sheena says:

True, the money in merchandising alone.

• Cooper says:

The only Batman I want to see is Batman Beyond at this point. I know Bruce Wayne’s story. It’s kind of like Peter Parker from Spiderman or Wolverine. Let them die for 10 years and bring them back after. I also hate that these studios have to put something out to keep ownership. Unless its original they shouldn’t be putting crap out. Sometimes it takes a while for that.

34. Spaz de la Whoreta says:

I bet his buddy Kevin Smith is sitting by the phone.

35. Hekki says:

My disdain for (most) superhero movies probably colors my perspective on this, but… the floppage of any given superhero movie probably has nothing to do with who’s directing it.

The world has ENOUGH Spider-Man/Batman/Superman movies.

*grumps off for some prune juice and Geritol*

36. runic2627 says:

Botox makes it look like your head is outgrowing your face.

37. Hekki says:

And he should give Brad Pitt a call for some pointers on reclaiming the hot.

38. Aradia says:

How many more of these movies are we going to be subjected to? And the title is “The Batman”? Please.

39. Asha says:

I’d rather he directed but didn’t “co-write” than the other way around. But I still won’t be watching.

40. Lefemmenikita says:

What? He shows plenty of emotion

41. Dirk's Vinegar Tits says:

If he really cared, he wouldn’t be acting in it.

• Lisa says:

If he really cared, he wouldn’t be associated with it at all. But I really do not like Ben Affleck, so I am biased.

42. Sol says:

Translation: they wouldn’t let him set the movie in Boston, and make it all about Batman and his bromance partner Robin (Matt Damon) pulling women.

43. Lefemmenikita says:

44. Trash Panda says:

WTH? My granny refers to the franchise movies as “THE Batman.”

45. spaniardweirdo says:

Batffleck’s original face has also bailed on him so… MEH!

46. PhillyKate says:

How old is that pic??? It’s been at least 12 years since he’s looked that good

47. Pit Bully says:

I just saw this haahahahhaha!

48. insertrandomcliche says:

On the one hand, good. I really dislike Ben Affleck.
    On the other hand, Zac Snyder. “Snyderverse”. He’s probably clamoring for another opportunity to take a Batman movie and drive it into the ground.

49. svetlanabanana says:

I’m so pumped to see a Batman movie where Batman is a middle-aged pudgy divorcé with a ridiculous back tattoo

50. Black Hole Sun says:

That’s a lot of words to say “I desperately want to share the responsibility for this guaranteed flop with someone else.”

51. Lefemmenikita says:

Yeah yeah, that is all well and good

The important question is:

Where’s the puppy?!

52. Ang says:

Now if he could just bail on everything else too that would be great. He is not a good actor. He is not a good Batman. Ben was a horrible choice to play Batman after Christian Bale. It just highlights how much he sucks. The only thing worse than Ben in Batman vs Superman is that weird guy Jesse Eisenberg. They would be better off just reshowing The Dark Knight in theaters.

53. jerseygirl17 says:

What if he still directs but Christian Bale comes back as Batman? Because I want someone to record Christian Bale’s reaction after Jared Leto puts dead mice in his coffee.

54. Tatiana says:

Nobody wanted him to be Batman in the first place so it’s hardly a surprise he’s trying to do the minimum for the next Batflick, he should really just quit.

I’ve been thinking for years the best thing to do with Batman is take the scripts from the amazing “Batman:The Animated Series” and film them in live action. Put that on TV, it would be a huge hit. Don’t even bother to tweak the mid-90s technology (ie the episode when Riddler is inside Gordon’s computer and Robin is like “Do you guys have a modem so I can use that World Wide Web thing?” hee hee.)

55. SpiceDong says:

umm when did playing a superhero become such a serious acting thing…meh https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/e8ded37cc48abb92b6e344c5d32e37a1c284f91db356c84666c8e612d6cc59ee.gif

56. Falkor says:

He says that like he won’t be phoning it the fuck in. Affleck is a bare minimum Batman in desperate need of replacement.

• Sol says:

I still don’t understand why people were raving about his Batman performance. He acted like he was barely awake.

• FB says:

So serious! Christian Bale is laughing his ass off somewhere. That role was easy as fuck for him but then, he’s a real actor.

57. Jasper "Hot Bod" DeKimmel says:

Nice try, Looney Tunes bitches. It’s still polish on a turd. I’d rather watch a Trump scat video.

58. FB says:

Ben is such a loser. Honestly. Poor wittle baby! I have no sympathy. He should pay WB those $75mil back that he lost because I’m sure he took home a nice paycheck for that flop.

Sienna Miller is probably flipping out rn. She was on her back hoping to get a part and now he can’t even really cast her.

59. Acca Dacca says:

i worked for an Apparel business…..we were working on a collaboration with this walking turd for a charity of his, (that helps people in the Congo). Due to “real-life problems”, (fabric sourcing, Production Calendar etc) we were limited as to being able to source the fabric for the project – directly from the Congo – in the restricted time-frame. We used existing materials from Africa instead to tell the story. (Proceeds STILL going to the cause irrespective of this fact). Self-Righteous Turd gives talk to 300+ staff to announce the project company wide and get them juiced up. He begins to diminish the tireless efforts of everyone involved and speak to the (in)authenticity of the project and the materials used. Proceeds to touch the bump of a pregnant Staff-Member. Dismisses and Ignores (male) key Designer on project, (me lol) Tall, Thankless, talentless turd.

60. Lislop says:

Ben is a victim of some bad plastic surgery. The surgeon erased all expressions from his eyes. I thought this was Madame Trussauds version of Ben.

61. Full-on Monet says:

‘I remain extremely committed to this project’
    Is that more or less committed than you were to your marriage Ben? Give us a yardstick to measure against.

62. FB says:

BlindGossip has some BS blind about this. Apparently Savior Doormat Jen encouraged him to walk away from the director’s chair. I really wonder who their sources are? The looney tune who runs the garner-affleck tumblr?? http://blindgossip.com/?p=83278

63. Dirk Diggler-Kojak says:

Wow. Shocking.

64. Pile High the Flowers says:

Hollywood is dying a fast death; Ben’s money needs to be invested wisely and not at the blackjack tables in Vegas.

65. Shannon says:

Bitch Tits Affleck. Worst Batman ever. Michael Keaton was the best. Close second was Christian Bale. And this pic is as old as fuck. He actually looks presentable here.

66. Petty Officer Diana Prince says:

“It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require.”
    Ben, your acting also sucks.

67. Saltydog says:

I’m a bit disappointed, I like Ben as a director, didn’t see Live By Night but Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo are all really good.

If I must rank the Batman movies best to worst:

The Dark Knight, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, Batman, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Forever, 60’s Batman, Batman and Robin

68. BlairBear says:

It just seems like we’ve had way too many batmans at this point (In 20 years we have had George Clooney, Christian Bale, and Ben Affleck) I mean damn its kind of overkill. I feel like at this point there is a batman for everyone and maybe Hollywood can find something new to beat into the ground?

69. TOM says:

Ben, better luck on the upcoming Razzie awards. You really deserve one…

70. iamcurcija says:

Part of me knows this is another selfish move on Ben’s part so that he isn’t blamed for the demise of the franchise. He knows its going to be terrible regardless of whether or not he directs and this way, he can absolve most of the blame….I see you BA you fucking douche – if this movie were heralded, you bet your ass he would want the credit for directing it – GFY. no time for this

71. Owen says:

He’s do-she!

72. Chingpei says:

Ben should act in PORN … something he may be moderately good at !!!

73. skabazzle says:

Here’s a thought – let’s stop making Batman movies for a while.

74. Theshrew716 says:

My something nice… I watched an old SNL ep that he hosted. He was really funny.

75. ModernGirl90 says:

they keep popping out these batman movies like they’re Duggar children

76. Minty says:

He actually looks handsome here.

77. victorg says:

he is ACTING in it again. isnt that bad enough??

78. Zorba says:

He’s wearing SO much makeup. Foundation, bronzer, highlighter, eyebrow pencil, powder. Probably a lil mascara or eyeliner to look awake. And of course a wig. He’s a Kardasshian!