It’s 2022, so naturally, we’re all wondering, “What in the world is going on with Ricky Martin?” Oh, you’re not keeping up on the Ricky news? And you consider yourself a Menudo fan! Well, let me fill you in. Ricky has been slapped with a domestic abuse restraining order in Puerto Rico from an unnamed party. Yeah, the she bangs guy (no, not William Hung!) is battling domestic allegations. Life comes at you fast.
The details around this restraining order are a bit unclear and shrouded in mystery. A complaint regarding Ricky was made directly to the Puerto Rican police and, on Friday, the authorities knocked on Ricky’s door to try to serve the order. Ricky wasn’t in, so they’re still trying to slap him with the papers. Looks like Ricky is keeping his bon bon right out of Puerto Rico. From People:
A complaint was made under Law 54, also known as the Domestic Abuse Prevention and Intervention Act per the Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law, but due to the nature of the bill authorities did not reveal the petitioner’s name.
“Up until now, police haven’t been able to find him,” police spokesman Axel Valencia told the AP. Valencia told the AP that the order prevents Martin from contacting the person who made the complaint and that a judge will later decide whether the order should remain in place.
Telemundo reported that details surrounding the complaint are still unclear. The order was issued by Judge Raiza Cajigas Campbell of the Court of First Instance of San Juan following a request from an ex parte.
Officials reportedly also clarified that the petitioner did not initially file a police complaint but instead went to court in their own right to request a protection order.
The local El Vocero newspaper claims that the party is someone who was recently in a 7-month thing with Ricky and supposedly Ricky didn’t take the breakup very well. Ricky has been married to Jwan Yosef since 2017.
“The parties were related for 7 months. They separated 2 months ago, but the petitioner does not accept the separation. He calls him frequently. In addition, the petitioner has seen him hanging around his residence on at least 3 occasions. The petitioner fears for his safety.”
El Vocero appears to be the only one reporting this, so we might have to take this info with a grain of salt. Whoever it is, the restraining order has very much been filed and has Ricky’s name on it. Despite the knocks on his door from the popo, Ricky is fighting the allegations.
“The allegations against Ricky Martin that lead to a protection order are completely false and fabricated,” representatives for Martin told PEOPLE. “We are very confident that when the true facts come out in this matter our client Ricky Martin will be fully vindicated.”
Things have been legally messy for Ricky recently. He was sued by his former manager last week ago for $3 million dollars. Her suit claims that she saved him from a “career-ending allegation” and alludes to Ricky’s life being in “disarray.” Yikes! A restraining order and an unrelated lawsuit in under a month? The narrative of our favorite (and only one I’m aware of) Menudo member is looking mighty grim!