Kevin Spacey Was Ordered To Pay $31 Million To The Producers Of “House Of Cards” For Violating Their Sexual Harassment Policy
There’s more than one way to skin a cat, and since the criminal justice system has yet to do fuck all to relieve Kevin Spacey of the skin he’s in, it seems that boring old contract law may be the only viable way to make sure Kevin pays for his alleged crimes. According to Variety, Kevin and two of his companies have been ordered to pay a whopping $31 million to the production company behind House of Cards for violating the company’s sexual harassment policy. Imagine, if Kevin had put in as much energy into completing those sexual harassment modules HR sent him as he did sexually harassing people, he might still be the fictional President of the United States. But now, a weary nation might need to come to terms with the fact that we probably won’t be getting another special Christmas message from President Frank Underwood this year. Then again, he’d already been shit-canned when he recorded the previous three, so I wouldn’t put anything past his delusional ass.
The judgement comes after two years of arbitration between Kevin and the production company MRC. Kevin, who as also a producer on HOC, isn’t on the hook because of the many accusations of sexual assault he’s collected over his decades in the business. This judgement only covers his alleged gross deeds on the HOC set. Variety reports:
An arbitrator has ordered Kevin Spacey and his companies to pay nearly $31 million to MRC, the production company behind “House of Cards,” after finding that Spacey breached his contract by violating the company’s sexual harassment policy.
MRC severed its relationship with Spacey and scrapped a season of the show in 2017, after multiple people came forward to allege a pattern of sexually predatory conduct.
MRC filed a petition on Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court to confirm the arbitration award, after the award was upheld in a confidential appeal.
Spacey and his companies, M. Profitt Productions and Trigger Street Productions, were ordered to pay $29.5 million in damages plus $1.2 million in attorneys’ fees and $235,000 in costs.
That means Kevin is going to have to do at least 50 to 100 more movies with Faye Dunaway. Which would be punishment enough if Kevin himself wasn’t the actual WORST. Now I kinda feel sorry for Faye. I wonder if Kevin’s producer status may account for why MCR says they had no idea he was being a big old creep on set until they heard about it from CNN.
Spacey was among the first major Hollywood figures to be accused in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal in October 2017. In Nov. 2, 2017, CNN reported that Spacey — the star and an executive producer of “House of Cards” — had created a “toxic” environment by making crude comments and engaging in non-consensual touching of young male staffers, citing eight production sources. MRC said it had “no knowledge whatsoever” of Spacey’s alleged on-set misconduct prior to the CNN report.
Spacey was immediately suspended pending an internal investigation. The producers ultimately terminated Spacey’s contract, and his character, Frank Underwood, was written out of the show.
At the time of Spacey’s suspension, two episodes of the sixth season were in production, and most of the season had been written. The two episodes were shelved and the production started over, ultimately delivering an eight-episode season rather than the 13 episodes that had been planned.
According to the petition, the Arbitrator also found that “Spacey’s egregious breaches of contract” made him and his companies liable for MRC’s tens of millions of extra costs.
I guess in Hollywood, if you have enough Oscar nominations, you can fuck with people with all you want, but you better think twice before you fuck with people’s money.