Here’s a little something for the “cancel cancel culture” crowd. Because Louis C.K. was “canceled” in 2017, and yet somehow in 2021, he’s launching a big comedy tour. First, the return of Kevin Spacey is upon us, and now the return of Louis C.K is coming. And if Bill Cosby’s comeback tour dreams come true, 2021 will really be The Year Of Icky.
In 2017, several women came forward claiming that Louis C.K. invited him into private spaces, like his dressing room or hotel room, and pulled out his private part without warning and jacked off in front of them. Before that, there were stories from other comedians who also heard that Louis cornered female comedians and forced them to watch him jack off. Louis was kicked out as producer of the show One Mississippi, FX dropped him, and the release of his movie I Love You, Daddy was canceled. After refusing to address the allegations, he eventually admitted the allegations were true, apologized, and said he was taking a step back from the spotlight. That was in November 2017. Less than a year later, he got a standing ovation during his “comeback” show. Since then, he’s performed here and there. But he’s also been hit with more bad press like allegedly giving an STD to a fraudster restauranteur. And Joe Biden‘s presidential campaign reportedly rejected a donation from him. Louis isn’t going to let that keep him down, because he’s announced that he’s going on a nationwide tour.
The New York Post says that 53-year-old Louis sent out an email blast, announcing his 24-city tour. The tour will kick off on August 13 in NYC and will continue until the end of the year. Louis’ tour will hit cities like San Diego, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Oklahoma City, and Cleveland. He’s also planning to do a handful of shows in Europe early next year.
The 53-year-old C.K. — whose real name is Louis Székely — wrote in the announcement: “Hello Person that you are being right now, I am writing to you today because I am going to be touring around the United States of America, performing stand-up comedy in theaters in several different cities.”
Per the email, the nationwide tour will kick off at New York City’s Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden on Aug. 13 and 14.
C.K. signed off the email by writing, “I’m really looking forward to seeing your faces as I tell some rather impolite jokes and stories.”
The email added that Louis’ tour will “comply with the local governments of each city in terms of health standards and practices. Like everyone else, we will just do our best under the circumstances.”
It is kind of surprising that there are venues that agreed to host Louis C.K.’s comeback tour. And not just because of the hate they might get, but also because they’ll have to remove his dressing room door and hire a security guard whose sole job will be to tackle Louis if he so much as touches the fly of his pants outside of a bathroom. They’ve already got COVID-19 restrictions to deal with.