The “Lizzie McGuire” Reboot Is On Hold, And Hilary Duff Isn’t Happy About It

February 27, 2020 / Posted by:

Last year everybody under the age of 35 got a big ol’ nostalgia boner when Disney Plus announced a Lizzie McGuire revival starring Hilary Duff. But it seems we hath sprung too soon, as production on the reboot has ground to a halt after the original series creator and current revival showrunner, Terri Minsky, was fired after filming two episodes. Hilary hasn’t publicly made any statements, but she did get a little Instagram shady and apparently she wanted a more adult Lizzie.

via Variety:

Late Tuesday night, Duff posted a screenshot to her Instagram story of a news headline about the planned Disney Plus “Love, Simon” series. Now titled “Love, Victor,” the show was moved this week to Hulu after it was deemed not “family-friendly” enough for the Disney-branded streamer. In her post, Duff circled the words “family-friendly” in the headline and wrote above it “Sounds familiar.”

“I am so proud of the two episodes we did,” Minsky told Variety in an interview. “Hilary has a grasp of Lizzie McGuire at 30 that needs to be seen. It’s a wonderful thing to watch. I would love the show to exist, but ideally I would love it if it could be given that treatment of going to Hulu and doing the show that we were doing.”

Duff declined to comment for this story, but multiple sources close to the production tell Variety that the star is none too happy with the Mouse House for firing Minsky. The two women wanted to do a more adult version of Lizzie for the revival, while Disney wants a show that would appeal to kids and families, something more akin to the original series. Sources say that Disney was initially onboard with Minsky and Duff’s take from the time they pitched it to filming, during which time executives from Disney were onset and were aware of the type of content that would be featured in the show.

Here’s a screen shot of Hilary’s dig:

Rumor has it that Terri Minksy only found out she was fired from another Variety story published in January, but she “declined to comment on how she learned of her dismissal”… READ: “Those Mickey Mouse bastards fucked me over!” Disney has, of course, denied there’s any trouble:

“We paused production on ‘Lizzie McGuire’ a few weeks ago to allow time for some creative re-development,” they said. “Our goal is to resume production and to tell an authentic story that connects to the millions who are emotionally invested in the character, and a new generation of viewers too.”

See, Disney, if you really wanted to tell an authentic story about a 30-year-old woman, it can’t be family friendly cotton candy bullshit. We need dick pics, hangover brunches, and post-engagement balcony blowjobs. Anything else is just Fuller House, and I’d rather scoop my own eyeballs out.

But honestly, this really has nothing to do with the show’s adult content. The reboot has clearly been cursed by one Miranda Sanchez AKA Lalaine! How do you make a Lizzie McGuire reboot without including one third of the Lizzie-Gordo-Miranda best friend trifecta? This is a cautionary tale for the producers of the Saved by the Bell reboot. Cast Lisa Turtle or suffer the consequences!

Pic: Instagram

SHARE
Our commenting rules: Don't be racist or bigoted, or get into long-ass fights, or go way off topic when not in an Open Post. Also, promoting adblockers is not allowed. And some comment threads will be pre-moderated, so it may take a second for your comment to show up if it's approved.

src="https://c.statcounter.com/922697/0/f674ac4a/1/"
alt="drupal analytics" >