Nick Carter Isn’t Going To Face Charges In Rape Case 

September 12, 2018 / Posted by:

Nick Carter no doubt wakes up smiling most days, and usually it’s because he remembered he’s not his brother Aaron Carter. But today he’s probably smiling because TMZ says he’s off the hook for a rape investigation conducted over the past several months by the Los Angeles County District Attorney.

Around the advent of the #MeToo movement in November, former Dream singer Melissa Schuman posted an entry on her personal blog in which she accused a 22-year-old Nick Carter of raping her at his Santa Monica apartment in 2003 when she was 18. Melissa says she never reported the incident at the time, because her manager warned her that Nick had the most powerful lawyer in the country.

Last month we learned the authorities had gotten involved after Melissa filed a police report, and the LAPD’s special crimes unit was investigating the incident. Nick Carter maintained he was innocent after Melissa first made the allegations, and he claimed everything between them was consensual. As of 2016, there has been no statute of limitations on rape in California, but law enforcement sources tell TMZ that the alleged 2003 incident has long expired under California’s previous 10-year statute of limitations. So Nick won’t be charged with rape or prosecuted. His attorney released the following statement:

“Nick Carter was vindicated today when the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office rejected the charges against him. Nick has denied these allegations ever since he first learned of them last year, and was confident the District Attorney would conclude that there was no basis to pursue charges against him. He is happy to put this matter behind him.”

Melissa also released a statement. She’s upset that the case is too old to prosecute, but she’s glad to have documented her story to the police.

“My family and I were well aware of the likelihood that my case was not prosecutable due to the statute of limitations in California regarding rape which was modified in 2016. It is unfortunate that the law isn’t fully retroactive to accommodate assaults that have happened in the past, regardless of how far back. It gives me great solace to know that my testimony is fully documented, investigated and sealed for the future if needed by law enforcement. I gave my statement, as did the other witnesses. Speaking out was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and I hope it inspires others to do the same if it feels right for them.”

So the case of Nick Carter allegedly wanting it that way is officially closed. There you go, Backstreet Boys. You no longer have to worry about how you might explain to your fans why Nick was replaced on tour with Kevin’s awkward older brother Korvin, and where the biggest (although not by much) confirmed public embarrassment associated with you is your stage.

Pic: Wenn.com

Tags:
SHARE
Our commenting rules are pretty simple: If you make any overly offensive comment (racist, bigoted, etc..) or go way off topic when not in an Open Post, your comments will be deleted and you will be banned. If you see an offensive or spammy comment you think should be deleted, flag it for the mods and they'll be forever grateful and give you their first born (although, you probably don't want that).

src="https://c.statcounter.com/922697/0/f674ac4a/1/"
alt="drupal analytics" >