Almost everything I know about rehab I’ve learned from repeat viewings of the Sandra Bullock movie 28 Days. So when it was reported that Demi Lovato had checked into a rehab facility after her suspected drug overdose last month, I pictured Demi sucking lots of suckers, killing it during a group sing-a-long of “Lean On Me,” and throwing her bags into a taxi at the end of 28 days. That’s not what’s going to happen. Well, who knows about the suckers and sing-a-long, but she definitely won’t be staying for under a month.
E! News says Demi is in a very serious program at a rehab facility in Chicago. A source adds that Demi is undergoing treatment with a therapist who specializes in sobriety, mental health, and wellness, and she’ll be there for a while.
“She will be in rehab for several months and is doing an extensive program to ensure she gets the help she needs.”
Demi is also eliminating all distractions so she can focus on getting well. She’s cancelled the rest of the dates on her Tell Me You Love Me world tour. She’s also limiting her contact with people outside of rehab, including her ex Wilmer Valderrama. Wilmer was rumored to be one of Demi’s most frequent visitors in the hospital, but apparently his last contact with her was when she was still in Los Angeles.
“Wilmer has been in touch with the family and has been checking in on Demi’s status,” but has been unable to speak to [Demi] as she undergoes treatment. The source explained, “The family is trying to make sure they eliminate all distractions and want her to be focusing on her health right now.”
The source goes on to explain that Demi is “doing much better” and that she’s become more open and happy that she’s getting the help she needs. She understands that she almost died, and she “wants to make a statement to her fans, family and friends that she is strong and can recover.” We now maybe know what kind of drug led her to rehab.
According to TMZ, sources say that Demi’s alleged overdose situation started around 4am when she invited her dealer to her house. They allegedly freebased Oxycodone. Demi had reportedly been buying from said dealer since April, and that he had a reputation of buying dirty drugs. According to TMZ’s sources, Demi’s Oxy contained fentanyl. Luckily, Demi had a friend carrying Narcan close by. Both Prince and Tom Petty died from accidental fentanyl overdoses.
The sources tell TMZ that Demi’s dealer fled the scene when he realized she was in bed, breathing heavy. Several hours later, she was discovered and 911 was called. If all of that is true, then that drug dealer has one hell of a customer service problem. It’s a good thing you can’t rate this kind of business on Yelp. It would just be review after review of: “This is the ‘finding a family of rats in the kitchen’ of drug dealers.”