There will always be creeps and pervs in this world. But in the world of entertainment, they’ve begun to attempt to make it look like they’re cracking down on such unsavory types. Harvey Weinstein, Roy Price from Amazon. Apparently the perv-sweeping broom has spread all the way to the fashion world.
According to The Daily Telegraph, magazine publisher Condé Nast has decided to wash their hands of Terry Richardson. I hope they got a good deal on soap, because a grimy grease stain like Uncle Terry is going to take a lot of scrubbing.
An email reportedly made its way through Condé Nast International on Monday from James Woolhouse, the company’s executive vice president and COO. James bluntly said that CNI would no longer be working with Terry. Any projects that have been commissioned from Terry were to be “killed or substituted with other material.” James asked all country presidents on the email to confirm the new No Terry policy and that it was effective immediately.
Condé Nast publishes both American and international versions of Vogue, GQ, Glamour, as well as Vanity Fair and Wired. Terry has shot for many of those magazine. Some of his more recent work included Alexander Skarsgård for GQ Style.
American Vogue announced three years ago that it would no longer be working with Terry Richardson after model Emma Appleton tweeted a screen grab of a message allegedly sent by Terry promising a Vogue shoot in exchange for sex. And that was just a tiny piece of all the ten million sexual assault stories we’ve heard about Terry.
Yesterday’s Condé Nast email didn’t get into specifics about why they were no longer working with Terry. The Daily Telegraph mentions that it’s probably because Terry’s name has been popping up in the recent conversations about men in positions of power creeping on young women and men. Over the weekend, The Sunday Times brought up Terry’s name and asked why, in the wake of Harvey Weinstein, the magazine and fashion industry were still celebrating a notorious perv like Terry.
Terry defended himself against the allegations back in 2014 via The Huffington Post. Terry’s rep declined to comment on Condé Nast’s email, but The Daily Telegraph says that Terry had this to say to HuffPo last week in defense of himself.
“I collaborated with consenting adult women who were fully aware of the nature of the work, and as is typical with any project, everyone signed releases. I have never used an offer of work or a threat of rebuke to coerce someone into something that they did not want to do.
I give everyone that I work with enough respect to view them as having ownership of their free will and making their decisions accordingly, and as such, it has been difficult to see myself as a target of revisionist history.”
Um, is Terry is aware of his reputation? “Revisionist history” would be BREAKING NEWS that there’s a weirdo with a camera out there who goes by the name “Terry Richardson” and the real Terry Richardson is a polite man with nothing but the utmost respect for women.