The firefighters from the Lacey Fire Department in Lacey, Washington who rescued a family of hamsters from a fire and saved 4 of them by giving them oxygen!
Well, it looks like that soul-warming picture of a firefighter giving oxygen to a kitten has some company in the file of photos I look at whenever I want to awwww out of my skin and actually feel things.
KOMO News says that on Friday night, firefighters responded to a mobile home fire in Lacey and once they got inside, they didn’t find any humans, but they did find two grown-up hamsters named Madonna and Oreo (I. CAN. NOT.) and their three babies. The entire hamster family had passed the hell out from smoke inhalation. Firefighters carried the hamster family out of the burning home. Once they got outside, they consulted their “pet emergency pocket guide” and quickly made a make-shift oxygen mask that was tiny enough for the baby hamster faces.
Tim Hulse of the Lacey Fire Department said they were able to save 4 of the hamsters, but sadly, one of them is now running on a wheel made of clouds in heaven. Tim Hulse told Today that saving hamsters is all part of the job:
“The primary reason we were there was to put out a house fire. But we’re in the business of customer service, and any time we’re called to help people, we do the best we can to make their bad situation a little better.”
I’m going to need the Lacey Fire Department to break down my door, drag me out and give me oxygen, because I think I’m about to pass out from the awww-ness overload.
And the Lacey PD should bring Madonna and Oreo in for questioning. I mean, hamsters do eat their babies. Bring them in and put them under the tiny light!
Pic: Lacey Fire Department