Here’s Zoe Saldana As Nina Simone

October 29, 2012 / Posted by:

When filmmaker Cynthia Mort announced that she was writing and directing a Nina Simone biopic, Nina Simone’s own daughter, Simone, pretty much blew a fart at it, because the family was never asked to participate. The Nina Simone Estate didn’t put their stamp of approval on Cynthia Mort’s movie. Simone and The Nina Simone Estate made it clear that they would rather see a Nina Simone biopic made with LEGOS than see Cynthia Morton’s Nina Simone biopic. Then when it was announced that Zoe Saldana was playing Nina Simone, Simone really rolled her eyes into a double side-eye. Simone told Ebony Magazine that when she thinks of actresses who should play her mom, she doesn’t think of Zoe Saldana.

I love Zoe Saldana’s work. I’ve seen some of her movies more than once and really enjoy what she brings to the screen. As an actress I respect her process, but I also know that there are many actresses out there, known or not, who would be great as my mother. The one actress that I’ve had in my heart for a very long time, whose work I’m familiar with already, is Kimberly Elise. Many people have spoken to me about Viola. I love her look. I love her energy. Both of the actresses that I’ve mentioned are women of color, are women with beautiful, luscious lips and wide noses, and who know their craft. I also have no problem introducing someone we’ve never heard of before who can play my mother.

Simone said this back in August and now here’s pictures of Zoe as Nina on the Los Angeles set of that mess of a movie this past Friday. Somebody should check on Simone, because she probably just side-eyed so hard that several vessels popped and she might need medical attention. Did they really need to put Zoe in black(er) face and throw a prosthetic nose on her? Even Zoe Saldana is making a face like she knows this was a bad idea. It’s the same face I make when a trick I just met on Craigslist opens his apartment door and I realize the picture he sent me was taken 30 years ago. I should’ve gotten the hint when the picture was a scan of a Polaroid.

145 responses to “Here’s Zoe Saldana As Nina Simone”

1. MrsPotatoHead says:

What in the fuckin fuckety fuck is this shit? They couldn’t find a decent actress who actually looks like Nina Simone? Really?

2. Nanners says:

Next dead celebs to get a shitty biopic:

Viv Leigh (secret mixed race heritage and bipolar)
    Mae West (film produced by and starring Xtina)
    Lana Turner (super slut and daughter killed her mobster boyfriend)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What the fuck dude? And being European is NOT an excuse. – IHateCharityChic 05/10/2012

3. softness1 says:

Sadly dark skinned black actresses can’t even get jobs playing dark skinned black women…Zoe isn’t black I don’t think…. she’s Puerto Rican or Dominican.. oh well.. the make up is a hot ass mess

4. MrsPotatoHead says:

Submitted by M.E. on Mon, 10/29/2012 – 1:26pm.
    Sadly, I have no clue who Nina Simone is.
    ———-
    You’d probably recognized “Sinnerman.” It was used in the Thomas Crowne Affair remake.

5. Lucifer_Sam says:

Submitted by M.E. on Mon, 10/29/2012 – 1:26pm.
    Sadly, I have no clue who Nina Simone is.

For real? I’ll bet top dollar you’ve heard a Nina Simone song without knowing it’s her. At the very least you’ve heard Nina Simone covers.

Don’t let me be Misunderstood (my favourite) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ckv6-yhnIY

Also her cover of Feeling Good – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8tuTSi6Sck (has been covered by just about everybody, to awful results usually)

6. boredasfuckyo says:

I always get Zoe Saldana and Thandie Newton mixed up. I don’t know why.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    “What if all you understand could fit into the center of a hand? And then you found it wasn’t you, who held the sum of everything you knew?”

7. Lucifer_Sam says:

Submitted by softness1 on Mon, 10/29/2012 – 1:31pm.

Zoe is black. You can be black and Latina. But I agree that they would rather hire her and paint her blacker and stick on a bunch of dumb prosthetics than hire a woman who actually looks like Nina and can act.

8. Whamo says:

What Gabourey Sidibe wasn’t available?

9. Stan Hooper says:

I really did think that Kimberly Elise was indeed a better choice. Zoe doesn’t have the lips of Nina and the dark face is a bad idea.

=========
    Brevity may be the soul of wit, but to twit without wit is soulless — Johanne Savoie

10. Datura says:

Submitted by Twat Muffin on Mon, 10/29/2012 – 1:29pm.
    I don’t know exactly why, but Zoe Saldana bugs the shit out of me. Every time I see her at some red carpet event, she’s got that damn smug smile, those big lines on her face and she looks like a stick insect. And that faux romance with her and Bradley Cooper is beyond ridiculous. You know Bradley is pretending she’s Victor Garber.

——————————————-

I’ve never seen Zoe act in anything, but she was amazingly annoying as a guest judge on Project Runway.

*~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~*

“You will drink the black sperm of my vengeance!” Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

11. Ophelias evil twin says:

bahahahaha!!! @Whamo

12. Lucifer_Sam says:

Submitted by Twat Muffin on Mon, 10/29/2012 – 1:29pm.
    I don’t know exactly why, but Zoe Saldana bugs the shit out of me.

Haha, Twatty, I also have an untraceable dislike for her.

13. FreakyBeBeautiful says:

Did they really have to add the fake nose? It’s called acting, dear. It’s where you portray a person’s essence, who the represented. If you have to darken your skin and add prosthetics just to remotely embody someone, then you’re not acting- you’re impersonating. And it’s just sad.

14. M.E. says:

MsPotato & Lucy – thanks for the links. Yes, I have heard those songs.

15. Lucifer_Sam says:

Submitted by Datura on Mon, 10/29/2012 – 1:37pm.

OH MY GOD. I wanted to fucking set myself on fire watching her. Had to stop and just Google who got eliminated because I couldn’t take anymore. Also, she was in Star Trek (2009) and she was basic.

16. M.E. says:

Submitted by boredasfuckyo on Mon, 10/29/2012 – 1:33pm.
    I always get Zoe Saldana and Thandie Newton mixed up. I don’t know why
    **************************************************

Same here.

17. LaChaylo says:

She bugs the shit out of me, too. She’s the catch-all for Hollywood: she’s a black latina who weighs 50 lbs and looks ethnic enough but not too much.

But she can’t act.

18. MrsPotatoHead says:

The actress who plays Michonne on Walking Dead (Danai Gurira) would have been a good choice too.

19. M.E. says:

She was also in Avatar (voice). Meh.

20. Twat Muffin says:

Whamo — Gabourey? Surely, you gest.

=======================================================

“I’m from Chicago, bitch!”

21. Ophelias evil twin says:

she seems to be the darling of hollyweird these days for some reason so parts just get handed to her. She’s so blah. There are actresses a lot more deserving. The makeup to darken her skin is distracting and looks like she chose the wrong shade of foundation.

22. Twat Muffin says:

Datura — she was on “Project Runway”? Why? I’ve never seen her wear anything spectacular. She look like a preying mantis with a potato sack on most of the time.

Lucifer — hey, hon! <3

=======================================================

"I'm from Chicago, bitch!"

23. Lisbet459 says:

I’ve hated her ever since this ad, which is so spectacularly annoying I kind of want to punch her. Especially since she apparently wrote all the lines:

It’s kind of a shame, because I actually liked Columbiana. But she strikes me as an asshole.

24. NOT IMPRESSED says:

I don’t like Zoe Saldana. I don’t find her attractive (too bony and bitchy looking), and she’s not a good actress. I’d be pissed if I were Nina Simone’s family, too!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Douchechill!

25. boredasfuckyo says:

Wasn’t Zoe the one who said something about women having to fight for their right to vote because it was being threatened or some stupidness not to long ago political bullshit? Or am I thinking of some other dumb twat. I know it involved Eva Longoria too. Some of you more political minded Listers must know what I’m talking about.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

26. Lucifer_Sam says:

@ MsPotato – I love Danai. Or they could have got this actress, who looks like a very young Nina and I’m guessing actually has some talent. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1323822/

@ Twatty – Hi love ♥